Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Wrap Up


Well throughout the semester, I talked a lot to my roommates about this course (CES 444). They thought I was taking this course as a joke, but my comeback to them was they took Queer Identities Studies last semester. I remember last semester, three of my roommates took that class and they always told me about their class, regardless if I was willing to listen or not. This semester, my five roommates were very engaged into things I told them about class. Over the weekend I bribed them by making dinner for them to tell them what I learned about white nationalism and to get their feedback. But like I said, we've had various discussions over the semester, here is one highlights from the semester.

The one topic that sticks out the most was that unit we did on the Tea Party. The Daily Show, the Colbert Report, and GOP debates are always must watch comedy/informative shows or events in our house. The Ann Coulter segment on the Daily Show was especially enjoyable in class because we as a house saw that segment when it was aired live on the Daily Show. We had a huge debate about the Tea Party. Most of my house leans to the left and the other just loves Ron Paul.

We had a discussion about the Tea Party and I tied in my thoughts that were actually formed from class. The idea that the Tea Party and its members are brutal towards Obama and how their hate lends from the fact that some of the members, even higher up ones, are white nationalists. I informed them about how some white nationalists welcomed the election of President Obama because it awaken the sleepers and push more people to their cause. They hadn't thought of Obama's presidency as any sort of victory for white nationalism, but acknowledged the fact that groups, such as the Tea Party, have received more press and support since the arrival of Obama.

Shortly after this discussion, I showed them the Bill O'Reilly clip where he argues with that black professor, I can't recall the name, so we found this video and found it entertaining.

John Stewart talks about the Tea Party being formed because of the anger people have felt toward the government. The government in the eyes of many white nationalists is this Zionist Occupied Government.

After recently talking to them, I talked about the paranoia of white nationalists and how that cripples them the most. There rebellion against pop culture and media just puts them more out of touch and contributes to there paranoid views of America being ran by Jewish people.

We also talked about white nationalists feeling victim to how current cinema is portraying them. Collectively it was agreed upon that anything can be made about race when you look at it. Sometimes movies just need to be taken as entertainment values; however, there are movies that are statements, but not every movie is meant to please every crowd.

Speaking of pleasing crowds, my roommates were shocked to hear about Ethnic Cleansing, the video game. As a house, we play a ton of video games. I explained to them the premise behind Ethnic Cleansing. I described it as a first person shooter where you run through the ghettos killing blacks, Latinos, and Jews until you reach the Jewish Control Center where you kill the main Jews, stopping their world domination. One of my roommates commented about the similarities it could draw to a game like Grand Theft Auto. It's an interesting thought because those games are controversial themselves. I think the main difference though is the paranoia that white nationalists feel about this Jewish control, and race mixing. It dominates every aspect of their life.



I think the main thing I took from the semester was that a group that I thought of to be tough, or even intimidating, I find that they are actually just paranoid, and to an extent scared. Their anger, paranoia, and fear kind of clouds their judgment and makes it hard for them to see something for what it truly is. There is always some secret meaning behind it to keep them down. The perception of them being tough and intimidating really gets diminished by the insecurity of the group as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment